Friday, September 9, 2011

Superman!

Did you know that opening up the hand is a developmental milestone for a baby?  This was news to me, and I have read a lot of books about babies and children!  With my other children I never had to think about their development.  It just happened.  Of course I helped them by reading, playing, singing and talking with them.  But basically, I put them on their tummies and eventually they started crawling and walking without me noticing the smaller steps along the way.

This time I have to pay attention.

 
 
We know that Luke will eventually walk and talk, but there is a high probability that those things will take a little longer for him.

Gwenyth, 6 months

Colin, 7 months

Luke, 7 months

When Luke was a month old we were visited by our Service Coordinator (SC) and a nurse who were assigned to us by the Iowa AEA.  They came with resources, contacts, and a plan of attack to make sure Luke had everything he needed.  The reinforcements had arrived!

Luke has an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) which lists our goals for Luke.  It is the birth to 3 version of an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) for those other teachers out there.  :)  Every month from now until Luke is 3 years old, our SC will come to our home and work with Luke and our family.  Besides our SC's visit, we also have had visits from a Physical Therapist (PT) since Luke was 2 months old, and as of last month we now have a Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) who will also be visiting each month.  These services are all free through the AEA under the Early Intervention Program.  I am grateful for these amazing professionals who are so caring and knowledgeable.  It really does take a village.

So, the story of the superman pants ...

Phone picture

At our PT's first visit she pulled out these little red pants and said that when Luke was a little older we would have him wear them to help strengthen the correct muscles in his core.  As she looked at the pants and at Luke she paused and said she guessed we could try them on him.  (I believe she said she hadn't used them with a baby as young as Luke before.)  I couldn't believe it!  Because Luke has hypotonia he tends to lay with his arms to the side, head to the side and knees turned out.  When we put the little red pants on him I actually gasped!  I hadn't even noticed that he didn't hold his body like my other children had.  The pants pulled his hips into alignment and immediately I could see that they would help him. 

Hello Superman Pants! (yes - capitals!)

Now when he wiggles around, rolls, and pulls up his knees he is strengthening the correct muscles in his core that are essential to roll, sit up, pull up and eventually walk.  We have SO many pictures of Luke wearing the superman pants, but it's not so much that he wears him, but what he can do because of them. 

Things like this ...


and this ...

This may look like a tired baby to you, but I see the movement from tummy to sitting up here.  Knee up, hand in the right position ... not quite strong enough, but the foundation is there.


I appreciate every small step.  Nothing is lost to me.  I notice every movement of Luke's body, every muscle he uses and those he avoids.  I notice how his eyebrows raise when mine do and that he mimics my vowel shapes when I talk to him.  I also notice other babies his age, or even younger, that seem so much older.  It doesn't bother me because I am completely in love with my Luke, but I do notice it. 


We get to experience all the typical milestones with Gwen and Colin.  Luke is our adventure.  There is an innocence in his eyes that I fall in love with each and every day.  A look of love and trust.  A look that makes me put his superman pants on yet again, and take the time to work with him, because he deserves it.  And because I don't want to let him down. 

As Colin says whenever Luke has his pants on ...
"Super Luke!"

Maybe it's not the pants that are super, but rather the boy wearing them.




In other news: 
Gwen is back at Kinderhaus for preschool this year.

1st day of Kinderhaus 2010


1st day of Kinderhaus 2011 (with a sleepy Luke)

I love how growth is measured not in inches, but in stones on the fireplace...

Have a wonderful weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not one to hop on the P.C. bandwagon. So much of the time it seems like that effort is devoted to not saying what really is. Call a spade a spade, I say.

    But, I'm sitting here pondering the phrase, "Special Needs" -- and thinking that perhaps, "Special Opportunities" might also be a good synonym. By that, I mean Colin will give you opportunities to grow personally in your capacity to care and serve in ways that are unique.

    It seems to me that we need language to somehow honor that reality too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops - i meant Luke...please remove the earlier post.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have an account feel free to select "anonoymous".